Skip to main content

Week 5: Copyright reform

In today's blog post I will be sharing my opinion on the book The Case for Copyright Reform by Christian Engströmand Rick Falkvinge and on copyright issues in general.

The book starts off with a claim that today’s copyright legislation is out of tune with the times and I must agree with that. There is a dire need for a referendum when it comes to copyright laws, as they are threatening our privacy. And to me, a person who isn't really familiar with all of these copyright laws, it seems that these new laws aren't being passed partly because of big corporations who are afraid to lose part of their income.

In the second chapter they bring out some key changes that they propose:

Moral Rights Unchanged - when it comes to moral rights, I think these don't really need a change. As said, no one should be able to claim that they are the author of someone else's creations. ”Give credit where credit is due”

Free Non-Commercial Sharing - I agree with this point a lot, the current laws for non-commercial sharing are just ridiculous. I think that new movies and books shouldn't be available for peer-to-peer downloading, of course, but with old movies or books, for example, I think everyone should be able to download them if it's just for their own use. As said in the book, it's cultural expression and we shouldn't restrict it. But then again to know exactly what people are sharing with one another, someone would have to monitor the stuff being sent which would just be a violation of privacy. So really the two options would be to make everything illegal (like it pretty much is now) or make all downloading for your own use legal.

20 Years of Commercial Monopoly - I agree that today's copyright protection law that protects work for the creator's lifetime plus 70 years is quite absurd and isn't reasonable. As for how much exactly should it be shortened, I do not know, but 20 years is definitely fairer than 70...

Registration After 5 Years - again, I would agree with this change, there are a lot of works that are still copyrighted, yet no owner to be seen. So I think this alternative would at least alleviate the current problem. 

Free Sampling - this one I agree with wholeheartedly, as I have seen musicians and other creators struggle with it quite a lot, for example using literally a two-second sample of a song in their video and having it taken down due to copyright claims.

A Ban on DRM -  I agree with this as one of my dear friends has had problems with it, more specifically with the USA's Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) on a streaming platform called Twitch, essentially getting all of your content banned because a fragment of a song was heard in the background and now you will get banned if that might occur again. I think DRM should bennedor at least it shouldn't be so strict.


Although I managed to only read the first few chapters of the book, it really is a good read and I will definitely read it further and based on what I have read so far, I'd also recommend it to others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 9: Examples of bad and good HCI

With technology developing rapidly, we find all sorts of new ways to improve our lives and how we interact with technology. With technological innovation, we might witness the creation of something life-changing and spectacular or something that just no one even asked for. I'll try to bring examples of both worlds. Firstly I'd like to bring a good example of HCI - eye-tracking. I recently watched either a video on YouTube or a documentary on Netflix (can't really member which) that showed how eye-tracking technologies have changed the lives of people suffering from illnesses like locked-in syndrome. Locked-in syndrome is a condition where people have full cognitive ability but they are unable to move or speak due to paralysis of voluntary muscles. So usually they can only move their eyes, and that's about it, although some can't even do that. They are literally locked in their bodies unable to move and communicate with others. But thanks to eye-tracking, people that

Wiki Review: The Chinese Social Credit System

For my Wiki review I chose a paper by Bálint Adám, Dominik Kovács, Benedek Matveev, Luca Mizzi and Carlos Rodriguez on The Chinese Social Credit System. I think the topic chosen is really interesting, hence why I chose this article to review, and important at the same time. As the Chinese government is really invading people's privacy, at least in my opinion, by tracking its citizens and companies. It's important to know about the problem so we could avoid this also happening in the western world. All in all, I think the most important aspects of the topic got covered, at least what I was hoping to learn from it while reading the article, and it was presented in a good manner so it was interesting to read. The structure of the article was good, it was organized in a logical way and was divided into subcategories, although they could have been tied a bit better. The viewpoint or angle of the article was for the most part pretty neutral as it should be. Maybe it was a bit to the

Week 6: Copyleft

Continuing on the topic of copyright issues, this week's post will be about Copyleft and what impact it has on choosing a software license for one's project.  So first of all, what even is Copyleft? Some of you might have heard of this term before in association with open-source software. Well, it's a license for free content/software that determines whether or not the derived works are influenced by the license or not. In contrast to copyright, copyleft ensures that the code/content is freely available for use and modification, whereas copyright more restricts uses.  There are three different grades of copyleft: Strong copyleft - one of the most famous examples is definitely GNU GPL, which was also the first copyleft license. This basically means that the license applies to all derived works and you are obligated to publish the source code if you distribute code that was derived from theirs. Weak copyleft - an example of this would be GNU Lesser General Public License. T